New today from the Century:
- Amy Frykholm on school reform that works: the community schools movement (subscription required)
- John Dart on faith-based activism around the debt-ceiling fight
- David Lewicki on the more basic issue: the relationship between government and wealth
- A poem by Mary M. Brown
In the news:
- Hill More efforts required by different faiths to prevent violence, says Norwegian church leader
- Catholic bishops urge House against steep budget cuts
- Vatican's U.S. envoy, who helped shape U.S. church, dies
- Judge tosses out San Fran's circumcision referendum
Links from elsewhere:
- Pell grant funding should be part of the final debt-limit deal.
- 20 things that could happen if no debt deal is reached
- Economic stimulus works.
- What the USDA doesn't want you to know about antibiotics and factory farms
- Repeat after me: social media is useful to society.
- Harold Bloom on Jonah. An excerpt from his forthcoming book on the KJV.