New today from the Century:
- Frank Honeycutt on the long path to reconciliation: "Like Jacob and Esau, my mother and my aunt met each other one day after 20 years of estrangement." (subscription required)
- Eric Wilson on his response to a gory Passion play: "Is exaggerated violence in Passion plays merely a product of our baser natures? Or does the savagery actually have a proper place in the crucifixion's meaning?" (subscription required)
- Diane Roth on the meaning of the word "missionary"
- Steve Thorngate on quotes from the 1 percent
- "Broken best," a poem by Bonnie Thurston
In the news: