Nearly 100 UMC bishops decry war

Resolution calls for timeline for U.S. withdrawal from Iraq
The United Methodist Council of Bishops, meeting in early November, adopted a resolution urging President Bush to set a timeline for withdrawing all U.S. military forces from Iraq. A separate statement signed by 96 active and retired Methodist bishops expresses repentance for “our complicity in what we believe to be the unjust and immoral invasion and occupation of Iraq.”

The signers constituted more than half of the bishops in the worldwide denomination. Bishop Kenneth Carder, one of the signers, told United Methodist News Service on November 11 that the statement had been in the works for six weeks.

While saying that the sacrifices of military personnel are valued, the bishops said that true security is not acquired through weapons of war.

 

This article is available to subscribers only. Please subscribe for full access—subscriptions begin at $2.95. Already have an online account? Log in now. Already a print subscriber? Create an online account for no additional cost.

This article is available to subscribers only.

To post a comment, log inregister, or use the Facebook comment box.