New today from the Century:
- Another ministry scenario by Ellen Blue: "The pastor seemed happy to meet Evan, and he said positive things about his work for the Calvary Center. Then he noticed Evan's yarmulke."
- Cynthia Jarvis responds to Blue's scenario
- Jon Sweeney reviews Library of America's Updike collection: "To read Updike is to remember just how upper-middle-class and masculine his fictional universe is."
- Randall Balmer on Pope Francis and the windows he's opened
- Why Carol Howard Merritt loves to say "Happy Holidays"
In the news: