Aug 31, 2011 by Steve Thorngate
New today from the Century:
- Phil Jenkins on varieties of the canon: "When documentaries explore Christianity, they have little difficulty finding diverse manifestations of faith and practice. A global survey also reveals a surprising diversity when it comes to the content of the Bible." (subscription required)
- Are Rick Perry's religious beliefs just more of the same? "Criticism of Rick Perry's religious beliefs has been dismissed as just the same old secularist paranoia. But this misses the significance of the New Apostolic Reformation."
- On Michelle Bachmann's natural disaster comments: "When people identify some calamity as a warning from God, it seems like it's always somebody else who's getting warned."
- Lil Copan on artwork by Sonja Olson, whose "intention is that these objects be seen not solely as artworks but as remnants of a life." (subscription required)
In the news:
- Survey: Muslim Americans have moderate views
- At 39, Gordon president leads evangelical up-and-comers
- Fiji government expands crackdown on Methodists
- Americans flunk question on Captain America vs. Bible
- Anglican prelate plans visit to Zimbabwe
Links from elsewhere:
- Is it discrimination to forbid headscarves on an amusement-park ride for safety reasons?
- Put a dollar limit on parsonage allowances.
- A kinder, gentler Bill Donohue?
- Hey conservatives! Stop trying to appropriate Martin Luther King.